Did You Know Most Kids Lose a Lot of What They Recently Learned in School While on Summer Break? Teachers Call it the “Summer Slide.”
Nowhere is the adage: “If you don’t use it, you lose it” more accurate than in the case of young minds and the reason behind the “summer slide.”
In today’s Learning Curve Francie Alexander explains how you can protect your child’s learning and advancement. Learn how you can easily prevent the “summer slide.”
Francie Alexander is Vice President and Chief Academic Officer for Scholastic Education. Francie has taught at all levels, was a district reading consultant for Pre-K through high school, and has authored professional articles for educators as well as 25 “Books Kids Can Read” for children.
In today’s Learning Curve we reveal:
- What the “Summer Slide” is.
- The fact that teachers typically need 4 to 6 weeks in the fall to re-teach material students have forgotten!
- The importance of “summer reading in beating the summer slide.”
- The wonderful treasure trove of tools and resources available at the scholastic.com website.
Learn of the many initiatives and tools Scholastic has made available to you so you can beat the “summer learning loss” and also help your child in everyday learning.
- Scholastic Summer Challenge a program where students can win prizes by logging their reading minutes online or using a new mobile app. called The Scholastic Reading Timer.
- Scholastic Reading Timer kids can set personal reading goals, using the built-in stopwatch to reach their target number of reading minutes.
- Storia® is a free eReading app specifically designed to support kids’ reading
- Sushi Monster, Scholastic‘s newest free math fact fluency game available on the iPad.
- Summer book packs for all age groups.
Get tips for parents from Francie on how to keep kids learning over the summer
For teachers, the Scholastic website is an equally wonderful resource. Their website has been set up to serve as the content and e-Commerce hub for everything a teacher needs most for use in the classroom. Each week, more than 1.6 million visitors to Scholastic.com access over 100,000 pages of free content and teaching resources.
This show is one of the most enjoyable Roger & Virginia has done on the Learning Curve. And the material it makes available to parents, teachers and students is truly valuable and quite amazing.
Scholastic, Inc., is a publishing and educational industry service company whose mission is stated as:
“The corporate mission of Scholastic is to encourage the intellectual and personal growth of all children, beginning with literacy, the cornerstone of all learning. With more than 90 years of experience supporting the learning lives of children, today Scholastic remains committed to providing quality, engaging educational content in digital and print formats for the next generation of learners, and the families and educators who guide them.”
But the big surprise to Roger is that Scholastic are also the people behind bringing the Harry Potter series to America! So it’s not all serious academics at Scholastic.
Click her to listen to: June 11, 2012 Francie Alexander